2015 ALAS SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS
$10,000 AND $2,000 SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
Sponsored by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Curriculum Associates
As the Latino population continues to grow in the United States, the need for more Latino school system administrators is greater than ever. By the year 2025, it is projected that Latino children will make up 26 percent of the school-age population. Latinos are the largest minority population in the country; however, the number of advancement opportunities for aspiring Latino school leaders is disproportionately small.
ALAS is offering two $10,000 scholarships and two $2,000 scholarships this year thanks to our partner Houghton Mifflin Harcourt who first sponsored and continues to sponsor the ALAS scholarships since 2005 and our partner Curriculum Associates who is sponsoring the ALAS scholarships for the first time. ALAS recognizes Latino administrators for their leadership by providing assistance toward an advanced degree in education. The top two recipients will receive a one-time $10,000 scholarship award respectively and the third and fourth runner-up recipients will receive a one-time $2,000 scholarship award respectively. The scholarships will be made payable to the recipients’ institution of higher learning and the recipients will be presented the award during the Awards Banquet at the 12th Annual ALAS Education Summit in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Friday, October 16, 2015.
If you are an aspiring Latino superintendent currently enrolled in, or have been accepted into, an advanced degree program in education in a college or university, take advantage of this opportunity to secure a scholarship.
- You must be a current paid member of ALAS to apply.
- You must be currently enrolled in or accepted into an advanced degree program in education in a college or university with the goal of becoming a superintendent.
HOW TO APPLY
- Download and complete the 2015 Scholarship Application Form available on our website at: www.alasedu.org and submit to ALAS.
- Submit a 500-word, or less, essay on how an advanced degree will help you achieve your goals and further the goals of ALAS.
- Submit a resume and three letters of recommendation.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO ALAS BY SEPTEMBER 11, 2015
If you have questions about the application process, email Raquel Pérez Montenegro at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 915-443-6982.